Maria Schneider's Reviews > Embers

Embers by Laura Bickle

Jun 18, 11

did not like it

This was a tough one for me--it fell apart about about 2/3rds of the way through. I think the problem was that as a reader, I started knowing too much before the heroine. Yeah, I get that we're supposed to figure it out and be worried and build tension and that sort of works for a while, but in this case, the heroine was rocking along doing well and then...a giant dump-truck came along with too much and I lost interest. There is a LOT to like about this book, but in the end, I think the overall darkness and decisions just bugged me--she was too vulnerable or I disliked her/her decisions too much. Dunno. There's some great characterization, good plotting, but heavy-handed. The book was actually quite excellent--even a 4 star read for half of it but...when I saw certain things developing, I skipped. If that was where the heroine was headed and I was pretty sure she was headed there, I wasn't going to waste my time reading it.

I checked some of the reviews after that contained spoilers and my guess was dead-on. Glad I skipped most of the last 1/3rd. My time is better spent elsewhere.

The writing is there, but the heroine wasn't true to who she was. That threw it way off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embers.