Mary Anne's Reviews > The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: fiction
Read from June 19 to July 05, 2011

It makes me very pleased to be able to say I've read all of Sherlock Holmes. Thank goodness for these awesome classics collections.

I found myself really interested in what changes I'd encounter in this volume, especially after reading the warning in the introduction. Indeed. Sherlock Holmes seemed to have changed in some subtle and not-so-subtle ways, but I think that tends to happen, especially when a writer gets downright tired of the protagonist.

While it's likely that none of the stories will become my favorites (and not a huge fan of The Valley of Fear), I very much liked reading this collection. I was looking forward to reading the stories that Holmes himself narrated, and I couldn't help but be amused that Holmes saw that he needed to use Watson's format in order to keep the tale accessible to readers. I was expecting the writing to be a bit more esoteric, but all the same, I'm glad it wasn't.

I feel a bit off in that I didn't really care much for the parodies at the end, and the essays were interesting to be from Doyle's own writing, though the material is sufficiently covered in the introduction.

All in all, this was a great read, and I'm so glad I took on this task.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II.

06/20/2011 page 113
07/02/2011 page 359
48.0% "The Valley of Fear will not be my favorite."
show 9 hidden updates…