Caroline's Reviews > If Ever I Return, Pretty Peggy-O

F_50x66
Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Read in June, 2011

If Ever I return, Pretty Peggy-O by Sharyn McCrumb is a mystery set in 1980s Appalachia, with a cast of baby boomers still haunted by the shadows of Vietnam and the ghosts of high school. Retired folk singer Peggy Muryan has moved to the little, rural town and is soon being stalked by an increasingly violent veteran. Sheriff Spencer Arrowood is investigating, besides dealing with his own painful memories as well as his upcoming Class of 1966 reunion. Several storylines are intercut together with viewpoints from many different characters.

The setting is Appalachia, but it could be any small town, really. This isn’t a story of moonshiners and squirrel-eatin’ stereotypes. The tone is thoughtful and sad. It’s about a disillusioned and disappointed generation approaching middle age. The themes may resonate more for a reader of certain generations than they might for another.

Although I can’t say I enjoyed it, this was a well written story, with many details that rang true

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Ever I Return, Pretty Peggy-O.