Lynda Schab's Reviews > Yesterday's Tomorrow

Yesterday's Tomorrow by Catherine West

Jun 24, 11

Read in March, 2011

I met Catherine West about three years ago when we were in the same critique group. Immediately, I loved Cathy's writing style. She was in the middle of writing a story that took place during the Vietnam War and I always looked forward to the next installment to critique. Our group eventually broke up but I still kept in touch with Cathy. When I heard the news that this book would be published, I wasn't surprised. I had yet to read the entire novel, so I quickly snatched it up. I ended up devouring the book in only a few hours.

Other reviews give the overview of the story, so I'll just stick with why I loved it so much. Cathy's writing style is easy and so relatable. She has an incredible sense of humor, which shines through, especially in the dialogue between her hero and heroine, Kristin and Luke. Their banter caused me to laugh out loud and relieved the tension from the harsh reality of war.

That said, there were several dark moments, too. Her portrayal of the Vietnam War - often avoided in fiction - was realistic and raw. It was never glorified, but gave the men and women who served the credit they deserve. Some of the issues covered include orphans, equality for women, temptation and sin's consequences, racism, as well as the aforementioned traumatic after-effects of war.

The story was captivating and provided a few surprises along the way. I kept picturing the book as a movie - definite possibilities there. The love story between Kristin and Luke was tender and will satisfy the biggest romance fan, but it also contains enough suspense and action for other audiences.

I believe this book is labeled as contemporary fiction but is borderline historical. I personally consider it historical because it was just before I was born. :-) My opinion is that this story will appeal to you whether your preference is historical or contemporary. The writing is fresh, original, and engaging...and that's all that really matters.

Excellent, excellent debut novel. Eagerly awaiting her next.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yesterday's Tomorrow.