Mel's Reviews > The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Jul 30, 11

did not like it
bookshelves: guytrash, mystery-and-suspense
Recommended for: only people I loathe
Read in June, 2011 , read count: once (too many)

Let me say first, I am not a book snob. I don't think there's anything wrong with a book that's simply fun to read, and exists only for that purpose. But this book was not fun to read. It was almost painful by the end.

I read both Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons a while back, before I knew they were a Thing....I was away from the States at the time, and my access to books was limited, so it was actually kind of an accident that I read it at the height of the craze. I do remember being entertained...I think I was less impressed by Angels & Demons, but I chalked that up to being an earlier work, and figured the writer was still finding his groove. Then I came back home and most of the country seemed in love with Dan Brown, while a lot of my friends (who are book snobs) sneered about how it was trash. I remember being confused about how anyone had strong feelings one way or the other.

So I picked up The Lost Symbol when I was looking for a diversion, and. God. It almost makes me wonder if I imagined enjoying the first two...I was drinking a lot in Australia....

Aside from the stilted characterization (including bizarrely-timed winking) and random fact-vomit (including the height, breadth and volume of most buildings in DC), the last 7% read like it was written by a recent convert...although, a recent convert to *what*, I really couldn't say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Symbol.