Adriana's Reviews > Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself

Mar 14, 08

Recommended for: nobody

Title: Starring Sally J. Herself
# of Pages: 298
Publisher: Yearling an imprint of Random House Children's Books a division of Random House, Inc., New York
Cost: $5.99
ISBN 0-440-48253-4

The book that this review is based on is called Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume. At first, when you look at the book it is eye catching. “ It was the hardest to say good bye to him. She sat on his lap with her head on his chest and played with his curly dark hairs on his arms”(46). As you read the story, it’s interesting and you can even predict what will happen next. After awhile, though it gets boring though. It doesn’t grab you into reading the rest of the story. This book shows the experiences of Sally’s life. Also, the book has a lot of connections to the world but overall the book is not that great. One example, was when she talked about Sally’s brother’s disease and she compared it to people in the world that have it and what they have to do to treat it, this is why people here today move to warmer places.
This story is about a girl named Sally who had too many things to worry about. She has to move to Florida for the winter because it’s warmer there and her brother has pneumonia. She has to leave school and start school in Florida. Its hard for her to make new friends and basically start a new life. Her dad stays at home and doesn’t go to Florida though because he has to stay and work at the dentist office. She goes through many obstacles and adventures during this time. Sally is described as a movie star. She finds this boy in school and gets a crush on him. Everything in her life can be repeated and re-winded just like a film.
There were times that I liked this book though. It explained the theme and what the girl went through. The big thing that I disliked about the book was that it didn’t pull me into reading it at every point. It showed a life of a teenager and many things that went bad for her which left her with many worries. If a story has a great conflict, it should pull the reader in, but it didn’t and that was the thing that I didn’t like.
Judy Blume wrote many interesting books that I thought were amazing but this book was just not one of them. I really thought the text-to-world connections were a good thing that she added. I love to recommend books to people if they’re good, but I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone. It just wasn’t the book that I wanted to continue reading even though I finished it. I wanted to put it down, but I also wanted to finish it at the same time. I was confused on whether or not I really did like it, and it had some interesting parts but it wasn’t the best book I read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian this review was interesting. im not really into these types of books and you gave it a pretty poor review so im going to stay away from this book like as if it was the plague. thanks for being informative!

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail First thing I appreciate right off the bat about this review was how honest you were. You didn't lie, you didn't really like this book very much. It wasn't that great, but you didn't totally shun it at the same time so I'm actually considering it as my next read. I understand how you feel about getting into to a book half way but struggle to finish. It's a real turn off no matter if it's a novel or a biography. I'm thinking of maybe reading this book in the future though I undrstand that it wasn't that good of a book. You review was very informative and well laid out.

message 3: by Corine (new)

Corine I like your review, and how you put your honest opinion into it. One thing you could have done was to make your review alittle shorter,more brief, because it sounded like you repeated yourself alot. I would probabaly not read this book, since you persuaded me to think so. Good job =)

message 4: by Michelle (last edited Mar 25, 2008 11:41AM) (new)

Michelle I liked how you prove that you definitely cannot judge a book's by its cover. I agree that Judy Blume wrote a lot of good books. However, your book review points out a lot of boring parts but also the good ones. I can connect to Sally because sometimes I also feel like my brother gets his way. I don't think I would read this book because I listen to recommendations and if you say it like it's so bad, I guess I would not like it either. Thanks for your honesty.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with everyone else who has commented this that i wouldn't read this book. I needed the honesty you put in because I was planning on reading it but now that I see your true opinion on it I don't think I'm going to read this anytime soon. I like the quote that you put up because that is a very interesting quote but when you said that that was one of the few interesting points in the book you clearly stated that it was a very boring book. I can connect to this because I myself has read many books before but there are always a few books that you want to put down and never pick up again. I hate not finishing a book so now i know not to pick this book up in the first place. Loved the review. :)

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda First off, i liked that unlike most reviews, this review was about how not to read this book. I think that made the review much more interesting. I liked how you gave examples to why it was a book that shouldn't read.
I connect to you Adriana because sometimes I'll pick up a book and it would appeal to me at first, but then it would get boring. Then a certain part would be interesting, but then it would get even more boring!
After reading this review, I will definatly not read this book. This book review allowed me to see the cons of reading it and that is exactly why I won't.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I like your book review. what i like most about your book review is that you was honest about you review. You said that you didn't like it so much instead of lying about it. I can connect to this book by, I can feel the hurt in Sally because her brother is sick. I would be sad too if anyone around me is sick. I would what to read this book because i want to find out what happens too her brother.