Karen Jones's Reviews > The Ugly Duckling

The Ugly Duckling by Iris Johansen

Jun 28, 11

Read in November, 2006

This was unique. The heroine of the story has some serious psychological, mother-inflicted damage before the circumstances of her transformation ever arrive. She goes through what I can only imagine is the worst horror inflicted on someone, the loss of a child coupled with the loss of her spouse. Because of scars received during the attack on her family, she's transformed physically into a stunning woman. But her mind is conflicted by the internal vision she has of herself. So she goes on a violent spree bent on revenge. Uh, what?

Although most people can understand the desire for revenge (especially in our heroine's case), I find the main character unbelievable. Am I really supposed to buy this timid, bent-low-from-an-overbearing-mother character suddenly becoming Lara Croft the Avenging Angel? Now if she went on a rampage because it had all been far too much for her delicate psyche and she snapped, then I could see it.

So, why four stars? Because overall, it's an enjoyable, butt-kicking, fist-pumping, tear-jerking read. So you totally get hooked on the main character even if she's unbelievable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ugly Duckling.