Kayleigh's Reviews > The Battle of the Labyrinth

Jun 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult-fantasy
Read from June 18 to 29, 2011

I think this has been my favorite of the series so far. Riordan's pacing has improved, and his knowledge of Greek mythology continues to impress.
That said, there wasn't much in the way of character development, at least where the principle characters are concerned: Percy is still clueless and tactless, Annabeth continues to be cryptic and moody, Grover is sweet and well-meaning but kind of pitiful, Tyson likes rocks and explosions, and Luke is evil. Honestly, I think Nico di Angelo has done more growing up in a few months than Percy and some of the other characters have in three years.
However, I did enjoy Riordan's take on the Labyrinth and the places it leads, as well as his depiction of Calypso as a lonely, kindhearted girl rather than the manipulative witch portrayed in The Odyssey.
Also, the thought of the god Pan having a pet thylacine (along with a variety of other extinct animals) made me smile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle of the Labyrinth.