Rich Taylor's Reviews > Shadowplay

Shadowplay by Tad Williams

Dec 17, 11

bookshelves: williams-tad
Read from December 03 to 14, 2011

As I expected, Shadowplay, the second book in the Shadowmarch series was a far more entertaining read than the first one. We start to actually see the fairies as more than just a concept and begin to understand more of the world and the people in it. One of the things I like about Tad Williams and is evident here, is his ability to slowly build the entire picture as you work your way through the story. Yes, for those who read my review of Shadowmarch, that can make for a lot of intro without a lot of understanding, but it makes for a story that pays off continuously once you get through the initial confusion early.

One small quibble with the author. He seems to just make up new inhabitants of the world just for the heck of it. Multiple times you see a new life form that is used for a chapter or so and then goes away.

Quick summary - I really enjoyed this book. Clearly, it is just a continuation of the story to get from the first book to the third book, but as I mention above, the story gets better and better the more you read of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowplay.