Donna's Reviews > The Secret of Chimneys

The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, mystery, 2011-read
Read from June 14 to July 06, 2011

I'm still a little unsure of how to classify this book. It has some of the elements of a classic Christie mystery: a stately home, the presence of gentry, and of course a dead body. On the other hand, the motives for murder include international treason and intrigue. As far as motives go, I found the plot revolving around the heir to the crown of Herzoslovakia rather far-fetched. I think Christie is at her best when writing about crimes of passion rather than crimes of state.

Beyond that, the characters weren't particularly memorable. The protagonist, young Anthony Cade, was certainly likable enough. However he never seemed to care much about anything and I found his blase attitude off-putting. Also, I felt there were entirely too many sleuths involved, at one point there were five! One detective was there to find a jewel thief, King Victor. I never like jewel thieves in mysteries. I think it is a cheap and bloodless crime that is not very interesting to read about.

I had watched the ITV adaptation of this book which featured Miss Marple, strangely enough. The TV version changed nearly every aspect of the novel. It altered relationships between characters, completely did away with some characters while inserting brand new ones, and even changed the crime, the motive, and the culprit! The only things that stayed the same at all were some of the names. I approve of a little artistic license, but I think that's taking it a bit far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of Chimneys.

06/18/2011