Mickey Reed's Reviews > The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Oct 01, 12

bookshelves: 2011, audio
Recommended for: YA fans okay with taboo material
Read from October 12 to 13, 2011, read count: 1

See full review here!

Oh my goodness, I seriously enjoyed this novel!! It was not at all what I was expecting, but it's in that super awesome good way! I was appalled and felt bad for Bianca at the beginning when Wesley treated her that way, but I figured what was coming next. I pretty much guessed it all, really, but that somehow didn't stop me from completely loving this book!

I won't lie: I loved every swear word in this book. There are a ton, and I appreciated them! It may seem a little gratuitous to other people, but my life is one giant curse word, so it makes them feel more authentic to me. Shocking, maybe. But I loved it. Bianca's foul mouth kept me guessing what she was going to say next. It just felt real! Loved it.

I also enjoyed all the sexiness in this book. I was taken aback a bit by it all because it made me feel a little bit like a creepo since they're in high school. I got past that though.. haha. I was not a Bianca-type girl in high school. I didn't have the same cast of characters, and I didn't have her problems/confidence. But her experience made her realize an important lesson: we are who we are, and we're all basically the same. Judging someone doesn't help.

So if you're okay with swearing and sex in a YA novel, please check this one out. I went through all the emotions in this novel, and I laughed quite a bit too. I can't wait to read Shut Out now!!!

As for the narrator, Ellen Grafton, I'm not a huge fan. She kind of exaggerates adult character voices to the point where they sound unrealistic and a little ridiculous. And her voice just really didn't fit the attitude of Bianca, but again, this didn't stop me from seriously enjoying this book. I just may not listen to other stuff read by her. We'll see.

Yay for this novel!!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The DUFF.

10/12/2011
10/13/2011
99.0% "Review later!! :o)"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki Just saw it was becoming a movie this year. I still haven't read it

Mickey Reed Nikki wrote: "Just saw it was becoming a movie this year. I still haven't read it"

I think it's going to be quite different from the book. And I also think that, if I read this now, I wouldn't feel the same about it. But I could be wrong. I definitely want to see the movie!