Juanita Rice's Reviews > Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference

Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delusions of Gender.

10/17/2012 page 117
34.0% "As I read this, I am painfully conscious that of the last 30 or so updates I received, only about 5 of them were by identifiably female authors. As a writer I find that deeply depressing, discouraging, ridiculous."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy I was interested by your recommendation, esp. the comment about being born the way one is born. I know my mom tried to turn me into a "little girl" but I always hated dresses, loved playing with toy trucks, and was a total tomboy. This is one that has gone into my wishlist - it's a bit spendy, but hopefully I'll get a gift cert soon to let me get a copy.

Juanita Rice If you have access to an academic library (local college or university) that's probably the way to go. Unless you are an academic it's not something you need permanently for reference. The body of the book is about 240 pages; the index and footnotes are 120. Very well researched, and a pleasant read, but intimidatingly documented and thorough--basically reviewing twenty-thirty years of sociological and psychological research studies, along with excerpted comments from the nineteenth century and so forth. You know, like scientific observations that women don't have enough body-power to withstand vigorous brain activity. Theodore Roosevelt was convinced that college educations would exhaust women so badly that they would be unable to bear children, and Virginia Woolf quoted a male critic who said that, "When children cease to be entirely desirable, women cease to be entirely necessary.!" Hmmmmm... I see from your reviews and reading, that you don't suffer from being debilitated by brain activity.

message 3: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy I dunno, I feel pretty debilitated. Maybe that's why I always get migraines and headaches and stuff. My brain keeps trying to keep up with me but my limited cranial capacity doesn't allow the growth necessary or something like that... ;-) (j/k)

My dad was pretty traditional in a lot of ways, but I know he was proud of my intelligence and questioning nature; even though those questions led me in a completely different life direction than he would have wanted me to go. But I know he is proud of my strength of character and will, if nothing else. Heh. I suppose that helps.