Brodie's Reviews > Outside In

Outside In by Maria V. Snyder

Jul 11, 11

Read from June 18 to 24, 2011

In a comment on my Inside Out, Karis from YA LitWit said that Trella brought Katniss Everdeen to mind. And I can totally see that, with her being thrust into that unwanted 'leader' position and helping bring down the tainted system of government. And in Outside In, just when she thought her job was over, she's faced with some heavy expectations from others to help fix their world. Despite the success of gaining back control from the Travas, Inside is far from perfect. After centiweeks of being fed the same propaganda about one another in order to create discord and prevent them from ever joining forces, the Uppers and Lowers are not cooperating in peace. There is still that prejudice and dislike creating tension thicker than the pipes. And the Lowers no longer want to do the same crappy jobs while they believe the Uppers are living cushy lifestyles above them.

Riots are breaking out, the danger heightens and they're racing the clock to figure out who is behind the deadly bombings before more people are hurt or worse; before someone crumbles their entire existence. Snyder always keeps you guessing. I had my suspicions about one person, but then switched to someone else and someone else and wait, that sounds dodgy, I don't trust him! She's great at creating doubt and amping up the mystery with every single turn of the page. You're transported right next to Trella as she dashes through the pipes and questions those around her - your heart pounding, your mind whirring - what's going to happen next? Are they really her friends or her enemies?

I thought Trella's growth in Inside Out was fantastic, but then Snyder wows us again with her amazing talent as we watch Trella face her fears and mature even more. Not that she wasn't one of the most kickass, strong and determined heroines before, but she faces some inner turmoils throughout the sequel. Between dealing with her newly found mother who she still sees as a traitor and facing the fears and responsibilities she has been trying to shy away from, because Inside needs her to be their leader, regardless of whether she wants to or not.

The relationship between Trella and Riley hits some rocky ground, but I think it was needed because it created an even stronger connection between the pair. And it's completely understandable when you consider everything going on around them and the emotional drama churning hurricanes within Trella's mind. But Riley is still as sweet as ever and my gosh, I want my own Sheepy! Well, no. I want my own adorkably sweet boy who just happens to have a cute Sheepy family. Anywho, I enjoyed where their relationship went over the course of this book. The romance wasn't the central part of the story and I'm glad it wasn't, it was light and well-developed and added the right touch to this amazing story.

I also like that Snyder allows her characters the chance for redemption. There is no 'good' and 'evil', but blurred lines where characters might make the wrong choices, really wrong choices and seem like the baddie, but there's still hope for them and she allows them chance for them to seek redemption.

Outside In gives us the the mystery, danger, action and suspense that Inside Out delivered spectacularly and raises it by 70%. There is never a dull moment. It's a constant, non-stop flow. No stretch of pages where it lags or you're wishing for it to get to the good stuff. Because it's ALWAYS at the good stuff. Whether they're in the middle of action scenes, heart-pounding to evade the enemy or else discussing what the heck is happening to their society. Just when you think "Oh, the chapters coming to a close, I can squeeze in a short break" she leaves you wanting MORE. And it would be illegal if you closed the book on that kind of chapter cliffhanger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outside In.

06/19/2011 page 107

Erin I love Maria V. Snyder's books. Can't wait for this one. I still haven't yet read the first, even though I've had it for ages! :) Will soon though.

Brodie These are my first Maria books. Finished Inside Out last night and went straight into this - so addictive! Really want to read the Poison Study series :)

message 3: by Sonia (new)

Sonia I haven't read this series either. The Poison Study series was fantastic though!

Erin I'm a HUGE fan of the Poison Study series! You'll definitely enjoy them! :)