Lydia Perversius's Reviews > The Vampire's Assistant

The Vampire's Assistant by Darren Shan

Oct 24, 12

bookshelves: darren-shan-saga
Read from June 18 to 20, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Starting from where the first book finished,the reader views Darren's life as a Vampire Assistant,albeit a hesitant one.Darren is now a half-vampire,but refuses to drink human blood,which in turn makes him weak - and might result in his death.His master,Larten Crepsley,aka Vur Horston,a full-fledged vampire,decides to move in with the Cirque du Freak again,in order for Darren to have at least some friends that won't be in trouble thanks to his new,still-uncontrollable powers - and who won't be running for the hill at top speed once they find out who,or rather what,he is.But things don't seem to be getting any better...

The second book is nothing like the first one.While the latter was kinda childish at the majority of the story,the second book focuses more on Darren's emotional world,which often is in contrast with his morals,and,most of all,with his own well-being.The boy,in a desperate attempt to keep what little of his humanity is still left in him,refuses to feed properly,and his health is going from bad to worse.At the end of the book,he has only some days left to live,before he's "forced" by Mr.Crepsley to drink blood and he barely misses his own death - at least,the real one this time around.Sure,he finds friends,but the plot gets so twisted at a point,that there is no turning back,and though the reader feels the dreadful death of characters coming,they surely don't expect it to happen this way.

This book was definitely a page-turner.Darren Shan's world is one where one tiny event,a slip of thought,one wrong decision,can lead to a chain of events that seems unstoppable,and can really take both the characters AND the readers not only by surprise,but their guard is so let down,they can't help but be swept along with the strong,river-like storyline,surrendering to its force - and yet,when you're out of these pages and not the one living the whole thing,you just love it!

Moving on to the third one,then.This story really has me craving for more!!!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire's Assistant.

Quotes Lydia Liked

Darren Shan
“...The pain didn't bother me. In fact, I welcome it: It meant I was alive. ”

Darren Shan
“Underneath me, Sam Grest - who'd been my friend and saved my life - lay perfectly still and slipped further and further into the final sleep of an unfair and horrible death.”

Darren Shan
“For a long time that's all I could do, howl and scream and cry like the wild animal of the night that I'd become.”

06/19/2011
40.0% "Mr.Tiny:"Remember,Darren Shan:curiosity killed the cat" Darren:"I'm not a cat" Mr.Tiny:"If you ask more questions,you might find yourself turned into one.Nothing in life is forever,not even the human form""