Sarah's Reviews > Mama Day

Mama Day by Gloria Naylor

Jun 20, 11

Read from June 17 to 20, 2011

This novel is absolutely enchanting. Naylor seamlessly entwines the stories of generations of love and loss, magic and belief. Naylor paints her feisty matriarch, Mama Day, as a complex and believable character. Not in the mammy, Tyler Perry-esque tradition. Honor and love ooze from every page of this novel. If you don't see yourself in any of these characters, you certainly can see someone you know in them.

Naylor's writing is stunningly beautiful without losing an ounce of authenticity. I refrain from giving this book five stars because it takes a bit of work in the beginning to recognize the voices of the various narrators. Also, the ending was a bit lackluster and drawn out, to me. Other than that, this novel is close to perfection. I absolutely loved it and will read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mama Day.

06/17/2011 page 19
6.0% "I'm in love with this book already."
06/18/2011 page 28
8.0% "I'm floored by how good this is. Phenomenal writing."
06/18/2011 page 60
18.0% ""I was never in that camp of a night out with someone is better than a night alone. I was someone, and there was always something to do with me. I actually enjoyed polishing my nails or washing my hair and sitting in front of the mirror to admire the effect - for myself. Anything that gave me pleasure wasn't a waste of time." Sounds a lot like my life, lol."
06/19/2011 page 270
80.0% ""A word to the wise is sufficient... but a whole dictionary wouldn't help some fools.""
show 7 hidden updates…