Catherine's Reviews > Viper Moon

Viper Moon by Lee Roland

Jun 17, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy-paranormal-sci-fi, fiction-vixen-reviews, first-reads-arcs-won-a-copy, boring, contemporary, crime-police-mystery-private-invest, dnf, gods, holy-warrior, magic-mystical-ability, read-2011, romance, sucked
Read from July 03 to August 28, 2011 — I own a copy

*DNF*

I've decided to give up. I can't get into this book and find myself bored by the thought of continuing. Plus, I accidentally spoiled myself as to who the heroine ends up with and can't muster any enthusiasm for the choice. He really irritated me.

No official review for this one, though. I didn't get far enough into it for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Viper Moon.

07/03/2011 page 47
14.0% "The voice isn't grabbing me much so my attention keeps wandering. I think I'll put this down and come back later." 8 comments
07/15/2011 page 70
21.0% "It really irritates me how books always have people taking it upon themselves to move in with the main character. Sure if you're friends and in a jam, but after you've barely met? And there's always some lame excuse that makes it necessary for the MC to agree. I don't know about anyone else, but I am not willing to open my home to any Jow Blow out there." 17 comments
08/04/2011 page 96
29.0% "This heroine really grates on me for some reason. :(" 6 comments

Juliana Philippa Is this for FV?

Catherine Yep. I plan to get back to it but other ones have interested me more.

Juliana Philippa Catherine wrote: "Yep. I plan to get back to it but other ones have interested me more."

Totally feeling you - I have two books that are on practically permanent reading hold right now. It's hard to go back to them when there are such great ones calling out to me ...

Catherine Juliana wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Yep. I plan to get back to it but other ones have interested me more."

I heard this one is actually a complete story, so I'm intrigued. In UF, usually the story isn't wrapped up until the series is In this one I heard that this wraps itself up and that the next book in the series follows someone new. Pretty rare for UF.

Juliana Philippa Yeah, I've noticed that about these series, which can be nice if you're really in love with it, but otherwise can be a little tedious.

Summary sounds interesting and I like the cover. Look forward to reading your review!

Juliana Philippa This one is slow going, huh?

Catherine Apparently I missed another comment from you earlier. It is kind of slow, but I haven't been trying to read it much. I keep drifting off into other books that catch my interest.

Juliana Philippa I know it's hard to keep track - I GR stalk you all the time ;-)

Juliana Philippa Isn't this book for FV?

Catherine Juliana wrote: "Isn't this book for FV?"

For like a month ago. *cough*

Catherine Juliana wrote: "I know it's hard to keep track - I GR stalk you all the time ;-)

I'm very "book backed-up" right now and had to create another exclusive shelf (reading on hold) just so I could park them somewhere!"

No, I think it's GR and their crappy notifications. During certain times of the month things seem to go into a vortex and I never get word about these comments. :(

message 12: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Aug 23, 2011 07:55PM) (new) - added it

Juliana Philippa Catherine wrote: "For like a month ago. *cough*"

Ummm ... have you looked at the Google docs recently? Have you seen the two (might even be three now) books that were supposed to have already been reviewed by me? Yeah ... *coughs* *drums fingers* *looks innocent*

Catherine lol. At least I'm not alone.

Juliana Philippa I think you should waive the white flag on this one. I'm considering doing so for A Catered Affair.

Catherine Are you going to do a DNF review or just throw in the towel?

message 16: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Aug 28, 2011 04:23PM) (new) - added it

Juliana Philippa If I stop now, I won't do a review because I only got to page 65 and I don't really think it's all the book. The writing is good and the narrator's voice is actually really engaging. It's a Brit chick-lit book (like Confessions of a Shopaholic), so has that irreverent / tongue-in-cheek humor.

I think maybe I'm not in the mood, and/or that there are so many other books I have right now I want to read more ... know what I mean? Just wrong time, wrong place.

What about you: if you stop this one now, you going to do a review or not?

message 17: by Catherine (last edited Aug 28, 2011 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Catherine Probably not. I'm having a hard time stirring up any interest in thinking what to say. How sad is that? Plus, I haven't gotten far enough into it to feel right doing a DNF. I usually try to at least get to 120 or 130 before I call it quits and review it.

Juliana Philippa Same. Otherwise it's hard to feel like you gave it a fair shake. I'm also feeling a little reviewed out ...

Catherine Are you? Feeling like you've overbooked yourself? I read a couple books the other day and didn't really write a review for them. I just did a quick blurb and that was it. It felt amazingly freeing. lol. I don't want to do it for many of my books, because I'm loving being able to look back and see what I thought, but once in a while it sure is nice.

Juliana Philippa If I can learn to write shorter reviews, I think I'll probably feel less overwhelmed.

I think with books I don't "need" to review (NetGalley, FV, Amazon Vine) I will do that and write only a few sentences (though I have attempted that before and still failed miserably).

Something to work on!

Catherine Good luck with it. :)

Juliana Philippa LOL. Thanks, I'll need it!

message 23: by Sans (new)

Sans I'm glad you stopped reading instead of sliding into a boredom coma.

Catherine Sans wrote: "I'm glad you stopped reading instead of sliding into a boredom coma."

Lol. I should have stopped earlier. I just didn't want to admit defeat. But I'd pick it up, read a few pages, and set it right back down. Just not for me.

Juliana Philippa Wait, there's not a clear hero?! There are definitely some things about PNR that are frequently done but don't work for me.

It's a fantasy world (HA - especially with paranormal romances) - i.e. I want there to be a one guy and one girl who will fall in love and have the most adoring and fun and funny and sexual romantic relationship ever and live happily ever after not ever having a single other person come between them ... not too much to ask for, right?

Catherine Juliana wrote: "Wait, there's not a clear hero?! There are definitely some things about PNR that are frequently done but don't work for me.

It's a fantasy world (HA - especially with paranormal romances) - i.e. I..."

There are two possible love interests. I thought this was a UF when I got it, but apparently it's more of a PNR. The romance is wrapped up completely in this one and the next book in the series will feature someone else.

Juliana Philippa Catherine wrote: "I don't like love triangles. I want one girl to be interested in one guy. I'm always turned off by characters who teeter back and forth between liking the two."

Ditto!