Karen Kaiser's Reviews > Dramarama

Dramarama by E. Lockhart

Jun 17, 2011

bookshelves: summer-2011, four-stars, stand-alone-novels
Read in June, 2011

This book was a completely new perspective for me. I have never been anything even remotely resembling a theatre kid, and I'm not big on musicals in my free time (I've only ever seen Wicked and Little Shop of Horrors). So it was kind of fun for me getting to learn about the whole process and seeing how it feels to perform in the theatre.
The writing was clever and comfortable, which I loved. And I completely related to Sadye, who couldn't decide whether or not she actually had any talent. Personally, I think she did, just maybe not in the areas she wanted. Was I the only one who kept thinking throughout the story that she would make an excellent director? I thought that's how the book would end, but it only hinted at that possibility.
The characters' stories were diverse, which led to an ample collection of personal dramas and quirky personalities. You've got Sadye, who doesn't know where she stands. Demi, who feels repressed and can finally spread his wings. Candie, who gets that gaping wound of neediness bandaged (kind of). Nanette, who's been forced to grow up and be perfect for her fabulous life (which can be viewed as good or bad). And Iz, who ends up being in an even worse social standing than plain Sarah (a.k.a. Sadye).
I had one big problem with this book, though, which is why it was only rated four stars; the ending. So Sadye gets expelled from Wildewood, and she goes home, and I wasn't really expecting that, so I was still kind of jumpy from the twist of events. Then...nothing. Her home-life is just as boring. Her parents are just as blah. None of her friends keep in touch with her regularly. Theo, who I was really starting to like, just disappears off the face of the earth (which I suppose is to be expected, seeing as they only knew each other for a few weeks and live in different states and everything). There was no conflict resolution with Reanne or Morales, who constantly got on my nerves. And then, out the blue, she has this attack of determination and confidence. She suddenly knows that she has talent, and she's going to find what it is, and she's going to release the bigness inside of her, and she's going to be famous.
Where did that come from? If it came from anywhere, it probably came from the weeks of watching movies alone and working a boring job and living in a boring town, but the book didn't really represent the time span well, so her determination came as a complete surprise. I didn't find this believable. There should've been some landmark conversation or thought process that led to this. Not just her randomly deciding "I'm worth something, so I'll go out and prove it."
But the ending seems unimportant when compared to everything I love about this book. The story made such a good impression on me, I can actually feel my interest in musicals spiking farther and farther up by the second. I recommend this to anyone who's ever felt unsure about their own abilities, or their own place in the world, and I definitely recommend this to someone who is passionate about theatre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dramarama.