pinknantucket's Reviews > The Tombs Of Atuan

The Tombs Of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: ms-readathon-2011
Read in June, 2011

Everybody on Twitter is going on and on about Ursula Le Guin at the moment and how fabulous she is and how she just writes the best books EVER, forcing me to face up to the fact that I've never read any of her stuff. I'm so susceptible to peer pressure. If everyone on Twitter started talking about jumping off cliffs and how cool that was, would I do it? Maybe.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I did actually once read the first in this trilogy (A Wizard of Earthsea) but don't remember liking it very much. And so long ago it doesn't really count. I suspect I didn't like it because the main character was a bit rebellious or cranky or something and I liked my protagonists nicer and gooder, because that was less confronting. The heroine of The Tombs of Atuan, Arha (The Eaten One) is also a bit mean and jaded, which isn't surprising as she was made into a super priestess at the age of six, which would be a bit of a dud life. (Also, she's called 'The Eaten One', which would be pretty creepy).

But whaddya know, those Twitter-folk are right about Le Guin, reading this as an adult I thought it was lovely. Very powerful, strong, atmospheric writing that captures you into the life of the Tombs. And I'm old enough now to see around the meanness of a character. (Actually it ended up I kind of liked Arha better when she was mean and unhappy - but also strong and powerful - but I won't say more for fear of spoilers). I'm even going to re-read the first one, and then read the third!

My copy: An ex-library book from Penleigh Presbyterian Ladies College Library. Card pocket inside front cover. Icky plastic cover with sticky tape (now removed). Faded spine. Purchased second-hand (for $2) but I don't remember where from. No marginalia. Ink stamp, upper right of front end paper and title page: 3490.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tombs Of Atuan.