Amy's Reviews > Daughters of Rome

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: rome
Recommended for: Everyone who enjoys historical fiction/Ancient Rome
Read from June 17 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Another great and well researched read by Kate Quinn. I did find this one a little hard to get into at first, but what things got rolling it picks up! It is set again in Rome, about 20 or so years ahead of Mistress of Rome, and involving many of the character we meet there, and setting up different events and experiences. It's placed in a tumultuous period of Roman history where in a 12 month period 4 emperors came into power, with 3 loosing their life in the struggle.

Again we're greeted with a spattering of well placed, carefully groomed characters that are both actual, factual historical figures and fictional creations, but the perfectly fleshed out imitations are hard to flush out. We follow 4 cousins from the clan Corneliaii (all named Cornealia, but with nicknames for clarity), out of them one pair are full sisters. While the sisters are the more prominent characters, we hear from everyone with regularity, that combined with their differences of personality and interests gives us a much broader view of The Year of Four Emperors.

The settings are equally as lush and well described as the characters are well rounded, you can tell the amazing research that was put into the writing of both Kate Quinn's novels.

The only issues I had at certain points, is the way the grils (who start out so close) act towards each other. There are different things that happen throughout the novel, love, war, death, marriage, divorce and wild life styles. But at somethings I just did not understand how they reacted. There were times that in my mind what two girls had done was practically the same in 'not greatness' and yet the latter of the girls they stopped talking to, wanted nothing to do with her.

I would recommend Kate's novels to anyone and everyone who loves historical fiction or Ancient Rome, they're great and sometimes the characters are so real, they can annoy you like real people!!

Definitly a good read. This is a prequel to Mistress of Rome (which did come out first) but you can read either book as a stand alone with out the other, though it does round out a more clearer vision of Roman life through a generation or two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughters of Rome.