Adrianne's Reviews > The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar

The Kitchen Boy by Robert Alexander

Mar 27, 08

Recommended for: People love historical fictions and twisted endings, and have the stomach for the nastiness of war
Read in March, 2008

For the first 170 pages, I felt like the Alexander was beating a dead horse by focusing on the same four points over and over again. 1)Leonka was the kitchen boy, 2)Although Tsar and Tsaritsa had many failings, they were good people that deeply loved their family and Russia, 3) The conditions the Romanovs were kept in were terrible with little hope of escape, and 4)Misha hated himself for how history unfolded. Seriously, I was sick of these points being described again and again. Yet, I didn't skip a single sentence. I think that's because Alexander would unfold them in a slightly different angel every time. So... I guess I liked Alexander’s writing style.

By the way, this was our Book Club's March book. Many of my friends had finished the book before I did. They kept telling me how the end had a twist and how they were still thinking about the ending. I thought, “How could this book have a cool twist for an ending?” The book was so straight forward and dull with description that I knew I could predict the ending. So, I thought of the most wild and strangest endings I could think of—just in case it was a really crazy twist. I am not going to appear smart at my Book Club on Thursday. I was NO WHERE close to guessing the ending!!!

The last seventy pages, WOW! I couldn't read fast enough! There were so many twists and turns. And that's how I came to give this book three stars.

And guess what? Those four points is what makes the ending that much better.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen Boy.

Vlieta You expressed my exact feeling about this book!

Lisa My thoughts exactly!