Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > Cameo the Assassin

Cameo the Assassin by Dawn McCullough-White

Jun 17, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, review-on-blog
Read from June 23 to July 03, 2011

Cameo the Assassin is quite an intriguing novel. Dawn McCullogh-White combines paranormal elements, such as vampires and witches, with a fantasy world, creating an engrossing and unique read. I have always admired the strong female heroines, and Cameo the Assassin delivers. There is much more to this story than action and assassinations, I felt the emotional pull of the characters and the settings.

The nature of the assassins, the Association, and it's leader is unique and creative. I found myself wondering what exactly Wick (the Association leader) was, and what her ultimate motivation was. I found the characters in Cameo the Assassin to be colorful and endearing. Black Opal, the dandy thief, is entertaining and enigmatic. The subtle attraction between Opal and Cameo is well written and developed. They are two misfits, outcasts who find similarities in each other. As for Cameo, her supernatural side was unexpected, but I love the character and her idiosyncrasies.

The paranormal elements to this story are some of the most unique that I have read in awhile. It is refreshing to come across new ideas and concepts, and the new concepts here were well done. I am not exactly sure how the vampires enthrall their subordinates, and am curious about that. In fact, there seem to be several open ends and things remaining to be explained in this book. These open ends do not really detract from the story, but they do leave me curious.

Cameo the Assassin is book 1 in a series, and it sets a solid foundation for future books. It did take me a little while to really understand the fantasy world, and adjust to the new paranormal concepts. The relationships have been established, and I am very much looking forward to finding out what comes next.

I do recommend this book. It is only 99 cents on amazon for the kindle format (or on smashwords), and that is a fantastic deal!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cameo the Assassin.

06/23/2011

Katie Michaels I liked this one too... and I ended up downloading Cameo & the Highwayman as soon as I finished it.