Debbi's Reviews > Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff by Richard Carlson

F 50x66
Jun 17, 2011

Recommended for: New moms, caregivers, people experiencing major life change(s)

I discovered this book at a Costco after my first son was born -- after I had been diagnosed with panic disorder. I was trying to "cope" with the new version of my life and was looking for any help I could get. I wasn't a "young" mom and thought I had it pretty much "together" before kids but really felt like my world was spiraling out of control. It turned out I actually had suffered from undiagnosed PPD and because I hadn't changed life very much at all (except for adding cuddling a newborn/infant, changing diapers and feeding him and not getting much sleep) -- I returned to work after 10 days and took him with me. We pretty much did everything I had always done with the addition but I felt a lot of guilt and fear that I was doing everything wrong.

I was VERY resistent to any drug therapy and so when I stumbled across this book I decided to give it a try. The sections vary in length and many were not about anything of any great importance. BUT, that is actually what helped me regain my focus because I realized I was worrying about EVERYTHING. Ironically, the BIG stuff I tended to sail through.

I won't give it credit for changing my life so much as helping me to re-examine how I looked at life and what in fact was important. Just by having someone "tell me" or rather reaffirm that I didn't have to walk a highwire to get it all done and that just being a family and happy together was primarily enough. I learned to manage my panic (for the most part) and kept this book in the bathroom so it was handy as a reminder.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy You make me want to get this book! I tend to sail through the "big" things, but stress and worry over the smallest of things. It's crazy the things I can push aside in my mind, but can't seem to stop thinking about the smallest of things. I'll get this book so I can hopefully re-examine my life like you were able to. I, too, have small children and worry about what I'm doing right/wrong. I've never considered a self-help book, but having someone else (you dont' even know for that matter) reminding you how to deal/cope isn't shameful or "weak". Thanks for the review :)