Maree's Reviews > Bruiser

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman

May 22, 2012

liked it
Read from May 21 to 22, 2012

Oh. So who thought this was going to be a normal fiction book? *raises hand* I actually like it when books are different from my general expectation. Especially YA books, since they're normally so easy to predict.

So, I like what he did there with Brew and Howl, but seriously, how many teens are going to get that the reference to the poem and his actual thought process are related? I don't want to be giving kids a lack of credit, but it seems like these characters are very literary where the majority of the world isn't. It's a happening trend in the YA world, methinks, just because writers are so literary. I just don't know that it transfers.

The characters are decent, the back and forth keeps the book confusing but hopping. It's a pretty easy read, nothing too serious.

I have to say, I feel like the author totally gave up with the ending. He'd built up all this great possibility, with Ten becoming like the uncle and Brew handling their parents divorce as well as all the other kids he was starting to like in making friends, and then kind of wimped out and took the easy path. I was really hoping for a harder ending.

There seemed to be some contradictions with the use of Brew's ability, especially at the end there with the pool, but since nothing is ever really explained anyway...it just makes the story that much weaker.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bruiser.

05/10 marked as: read