Rachel's Reviews > The American Heiress

The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin

Jun 17, 11

I have to admit that at first I really didn't like this book. I was excited to receive it for free from Goodreads, especially because it had some relation towards England and British literature (both of which I love), but the first few chapters were sorely disappointing. I found Cora Cash to be vain, and petty. I couldn't relate to her at all, so I found it hard to sink my teeth into the book.

I put it down for a few days and then came back to it a few days later when I had nothing else to read. I am glad that I did. Once Cora crossed the proverbial pond and gained her hard-fought British title, the pace picked up considerably. I felt bad for Cora, trying to figure out the British upper class, something I think that even the British themselves don't even understand.

My biggest wish for Cora, as a character and as a woman, was that she would finally grow the backbone she needed to truly survive. I don't think she did. She tried, she really did, but in the end it just didn't quite work out the way I wanted. Then again, I have high expectations. Maybe it's the society in which she was raised. I tried to be cognizant of the time period, too, and that women still weren't "allowed" to be the strong independent types we are today, but I still found that wasn't a big enough excuse. I wanted Cora Cash to have progressive, Elizabeth-Bennett-cajones, and she always fell short.

She still became a likeable character, and I hated her husband. Still do, in fact. There's no Mr. Darcy to Ivo whatsoever.

All in all, a likeable book. I'd recommend for easy summer reading to someone who likes and appreciates British literature - even if this is from a very American perspective.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Heiress.