Deborah Sloan's Reviews > One Was a Soldier

One Was a Soldier by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Jun 17, 2011

Read in June, 2011

I wasn't sure what I would find when I saw the title One Was a Soldier by Julia Spencer-Fleming but I was pleasantly surprised to find in it's pages a bit of everything. Mystery, Romance, and more. A small community with returning military from Iraq, men and women, all find their lives not the same. They are all affected in some way by their experiences in war, but can they find their way back to some semblance of normalcy is the question.

For Claire Fergerson an Episcopalian priest and her love interest the Chief of police Russ Van Alstyne working on their relationship gets difficult when one of the members of the therapy group that Claire herself attends ends up dead. Though it appears to be self inflicted gun shot as the cause, the therapy group members feel otherwise and seek to solve the case on their own. All with trying to deal with their own problems their war experience has dealt to each of them.

With murders, missing money, and love I so enjoyed reading One Was a Soldier by Julia Spencer-Fleming and I know you will too. The author takes the time to let you know each of her characters which I loved. A fitting tribute to our military men and women.

Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Minotaur Books; First Edition edition (April 12, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0312334893
ISBN-13: 978-0312334895
Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 6.1 x 1.3 inches

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Was a Soldier.