Kathy (Kindle-aholic)'s Reviews > Sins of the Angels

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: uf
Read on January 19, 2012

3.75 - rounding up.

I would say that if you are of a particular religious persuasion and dislike anything that tweaks with certain aspects of the Creator, Lucifer, Angels, then you will have some issues here.

I love that kind of stuff, so those parts were my favorites. Definitely changes the dynamic of the battle between heaven and hell.

To be honest, the set-up of the whole world and Heaven/Hell were of more interest than the main characters. Not that they were bad, but they were a bit cold and prickly at first. They grew on me by the end. I did find Alex's reactions to be natural, especially given her family background.

There is a soulmate aspect, but this is not your typical Romance-soulmate book. In fact, it wasn't really romantic at all. Instead you have 2 people who flat out dislike each other, are antagonistic towards each other, and not in a "you know they're going to jump in the sack by chaper 12" way. It was a spin on the concept, and I liked it.

Villain was horrific but by the end you could see how he got that way.

This is not a standalone at all. The end is an ending of sorts, but I definitely need the next book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sins of the Angels.

01/19/2012 page 224
67.0% "I'm liking this one. Police procedural with Angels. I'm liking where this is going (it has some soulmate stuff in it, but it's not romantic - hard to explain in short space, but I dig it)"

message 1: by Honour (new) - added it

Honour I love interesting spins on established lores. Especially in stories like the fall of Lucifer. It's like looking at the whole story from a different perspective, as if there was more than just one side that is allowed to tell the tale.
Anyway, thanks for another great rec.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) I do too, but I thought it fair to point out that it's in the book since there are folks who will not be able to get past that. Then there are folks who will pick it up just because of it. Everybody wins! :)

Hope you like the book!

message 3: by April (new) - added it

April Is it at all preachy? That is why I usually avoid books with angels or angel stories in them. I tried reading Sniegoski's Remy books but they got too preachy for me.

The one book I really liked with angels in them was the Faith Hunter series.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) I didn't find this one preachy - that's a turn off for me, too. I haven't read book 2 yet, so time will tell if that stays the case.

message 5: by April (new) - added it

April Cool, I'll add it to the list then. Thanks!

message 6: by NList (new) - added it

NList I started to read this book at the end of last year. For some reason, I just couldn't get into it at all! My dislike of the book was definitely based more on the characters than plot/world building. Maybe I will pick it up at a later date and try again.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) The characters took a little while to click for me, so I can see that.