Auntee's Reviews > Taking a Shot

Taking a Shot by Jaci Burton

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, erotic-romance, sports-romance, i-ll-buy-for-the-cover-alone, 2012_reads, husband-worthy_hero
Recommended to Auntee by: Catherine
Recommended for: Fans of the series; fans of erotic sports romances
Read from February 28 to March 02, 2012

I just love this series. Give me a hot, erotic sports romance with a feisty heroine, a sexy, swoon-worthy hero, plenty of spicy dialogue, some terrific female bonding moments, the return of characters from the previous books, and most of all...a decent story, and I'm going to be all over it!

In this third book of Jaci Burton's Play By Play series, youngest Riley sibling Jenna gets the HEA she is not looking for. Jenna's the bartender/manager of her family's St. Louis sports bar, taking over for her dad who's had some health problems. Jenna's the responsible type, and while running the family business isn't her dream, it's something she's good at and feels she has to do.

Pro hockey star Tyler Anderson has been making a lot of post-game visits to Riley's, and it's not just for the great food and drinks. He's intrigued by the tattooed, pierced, beautiful bartender Jenna. Despite Jenna not being his usual physical type, he likes her feistiness and their conversations, and the sexual sparks between them keeps him coming back for more. But Jenna has made it clear that she doesn't date athletes...does Tyler even stand a chance with her?

Tyler...
Photobucket

Oh wow. I just loved Tyler. Not only is he hot, gorgeous, a sexual stud in the bedroom and a gentleman elsewhere, but he is just so darn supportive to Jenna, and knows just how far he can push her. He's perceptive, understanding, patient, puts up with her sometimes bitchy moods and gets her. Even though he has no intention of ever marrying or having a serious relationship (due to witnessing his parents own unhappy marriage) he pursues Jenna in the most exciting way, breaking down her walls and fears. You just know he's going to change his mind about marriage, once he realizes he doesn't want to live without Jenna. But can he get Jenna to conquer her fears of failure, and take a shot at what she really wants in life?

Now Jenna...there were things about her I didn't understand at first. Why the anti-athlete stance? (I kept waiting for a big reason) Why didn't her family know (view spoiler) Why was she so hesitant to go after what she really wanted? I loved how Jaci Burton used the relationship with Tyler to let the reader learn more about Jenna and her fears. Despite her outward confidence, Jenna really did have a fear of failure, which surprised me. I felt that the relationship with Tyler was the best thing that could've happened to Jenna. She learned an awful lot about herself when she was able to open up to Tyler and reveal her past and why she quit pursuing her dream. With his encouragement Jenna realized it was time to start living life for herself and stand up for what she wanted and deserved. I just loved the support he gave her (and the support she gave him regarding his parents).

Of course being a Jaci Burton book, you know there's going to be ample hotness, and JB doesn't disappoint. Tyler and Jenna have absolutely no problems in the bedroom (actually, they have more adventures outside of the bedroom--a private box at the rink, on a pool table, on a bar top, in the shower, on the floor...and the most risque--against the boards on the ice!) Yeah...like I said, no problems with their sex life whatsoever.

This book was such an easy, enjoyable read. There were no slow spots, the dialogue flowed smoothly, the sex scenes didn't overwhelm the story, and the characters were fully fleshed out. There were plenty of details and no fillers. Everything made sense (except for some clunky descriptions regarding the hockey action). I loved seeing Mick and Tara, and Gavin and Liz again, and loved when Jenna got together with her two sisters-in-law for some heart-to-heart talks (some lol moments there). I wanted to keep turning the pages because I was curious to see how it would all play out. And when it ended, not only did I have a few tears in my eyes, but I was disappointed there wasn't more (sure would've loved an epilogue)! But maybe, just maybe, we'll catch up with Jenna and Tyler again in the next book--Jenna has a football playing cousin--Cole--who we briefly meet in this book, and he's getting his own book (Playing to Win). Yay! 5 stars

Warning: This book contains explicit sex (including oral and one anal scene) and language. Not for the faint of heart.
39 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking a Shot.

02/28/2012 page 1
0.0% 4 comments
03/01/2012 page 134
40.0% "C'mon Jenna, open your eyes!" 4 comments
03/02/2012 page 259
77.0% "This is sooo good..."
03/02/2012 page 336
100.0% "Wonderful!"

Comments (showing 1-26)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Collins I won a postcard of this cover signed by the model. :-). Let me just say yummy yummy!!!!!!

Auntee Lucky you!:)

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Collins I've been ordered to leave it at work so others can come take it out to look at when they are having one of those days. ;-)

Auntee HA!:)

MountainKat I can't wait to read this! (And drool over the cover...)

Marisol Looking at your reviews, this one is better than Changing the Game. I didn't really connect with either Liz or Gavin.

message 20: by Erika (new)

Erika Great review Auntee

message 19: by Anne OK (new)

Anne OK Terrific review Auntee. Can't wait for Tuesday!

message 18: by Ren (new) - added it

Ren Jason Vendyres who are the model of this cover have a FB page, Auntee :
Enjoy!

message 17: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Great review Auntee.....I can't wait to get my hands on this one ☺

Auntee Thanks ladies!

Vicki Such a great review, makes it harder to wait to read it!:)

Auntee Thanks Vicki, I think you'll enjoy Tyler it!:)

Auntee Ren wrote: "Jason Vendyres who are the model of this cover have a FB page, Auntee :
Enjoy!"

Thanks Ren!

Diana~ I'm super excited for this one and can't wait to get my hands on it. Great review Auntee!

Auntee Thanks Diana~!

message 10: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Great review Auntee, you sold it to me!

Auntee Thanks Melissa!

Sunny I got it in my Kindle last night and finished it. I thought it was the best of the three so far.

Alicia J Now I can't wait to get home and read it on my kindle. Great review Auntee.

Auntee Thanks Alicia--enjoy!

message 5: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Wonderful review, Auntee! Thanks again for the pic. ☺

Auntee Thanks Lisa Kay! And YW for the pic.:)

Wendy Another great review Auntee!

Auntee Thanks Wendy!:)

Lori loved this book. Do you know who the the picture is above under "Tyler"?