Erik Graff's Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Aug 11, 2014

bookshelves: sf
Recommended to Erik by: high school friends
Recommended for: everyone
Read in June, 1974 , read count: 1

Kurt Vonnegut recently died. A number of interviews with him are posted as videos on the web. If you've never heard him speak, check them out.

Indicative of the kind of person he was is a comment he wrote once that has stuck with me. A Midwesterner, Vonnegut was raised in Indianapolis, a fact of which he was proud, he said, because his town was the first in the country to convict and execute a white for murdering an indian. Of course, Kurt opposed the death penalty. He wasn't very fond of Indianapolis either.

That kind of humor, humor with a humane core, runs throughout his books. Slaughterhouse Five, a memoir of his time as a prisoner of war in Dresden, fictionalized as that of the Everyman, Billy Pilgrim, is perhaps his best and most extreme. Although it links to some of the perennial characters who appear in many of his novels, the book is a good place to start if you haven't already. Afterwards, you might want to read his other war-based novels, Mother Night and Bluebeard Vonnegut was passionately, and actively, opposed to war and the causes of war.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.

Dr. Carl Ludwig Dorsch

Vonnegut introduces the Trafalmadorans (and the Chrono-Synclastic Infundibulum) in "The Sirens of Titan" published a decade before "Slaughterhouse-Five."

Strangely, in 1970 or so, in a used book shop on the outskirts of Islamabad, I came across a worn copy of the 35 cent, 1959 Dell Paperback first edition/first printing of "The Sirens of Titan." The binding glue had long since failed, but some thoughtful conservator had pierced the volume twice (top and bottom) a quarter inch in from the spine and, by threading a loop of twine twice through the holes, had successfully rebound it.

I have read that particular volume a number of times, most recently after Mr. Vonnegut’s death. It remains unclear whether anything has been gained by any of this.

message 2: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin I believe he spoke almost lastly on Jon or Colbert. It was the first time I heard him. He was on promoting his first book-he amazed me. His books still elude me though.