Lanica's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Jul 04, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, read-in-2011, vampires, reviewed, audiobooks
Read from June 15 to 17, 2011

Abraham Lincoln is one of my personal heroes. I enjoy reading about his life and times, the Civil War and the biographies or diaries of people who lived through it.

I also enjoy dark urban fantasy; urban romance just pisses me off.

I should like this, right? Right?

Actually, I am pretty ambivalent about it. I enjoyed the story. It could have been any main character and the story of how vampires influenced the Civil War could have been an interesting premise. The life of the vampire hunter during the Civil War could have been a good story all on its own. But, by adding Abraham Lincoln as the main character...well, it killed the story for me.

I see that there was research done, I understand that the facts were 'bent' for the sake of the story and I am completely able to 'suspend disbelief' when needed. But, in this case...it was just not possible. I am sure this author could probably write an original story, but he didn't do it here. He took an existing story (the amazing life of Abe Lincoln) and wrote vampires into it, throwing a mesh of vampire details over an already existing biography. It was basic research of Lincoln rewritten with simple mythology of vampires and put into an unimaginative 'journal' format.

I was entertained, but not really interested or 'buying in'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

U.L. Harper You said it better than myself. I'm reading it right now, thinking that I'm missing something. But there's no substance here. And Abe Lincoln keeps interjecting into the narrative. Anyway the gimmick doesn't work and you're right--vampires during the civil war would have been good enough. Abe Lincoln? Pretty tough sell.

Julie Tridle Actually, I'm not sure he can write an original story. He hasn't yet. Just plops monsters into the works of others. I'd like to see if he can actually do anything else.