Laura 's Reviews > Click

Click by Lisa Becker

Jun 18, 11

Read in June, 2011

I never win anything. It's like a curse. So I was thrilled to win my copy of Click from a giveaway! It made me like the book instantly but make no mistake, there will be no bias here!

The book is written as one long email conversation between friends and strangers. Reading Click is somehow voyeuristic as it feels like you are eavesdropping on someone's personal emails. Lisa Becker does a great job with making this element of the text believable.

I liked the premise of the book; it sounded like a light hearted read that would while away an afternoon. I was right! Well, actually, I stayed up stupidly late one night to read this from beginning to end. I read this on my iPhone so it must've been entertaining for me to put up with the night of eye strain. I only discovered the "night-reading" feature yesterday. Ho hum.

I wondered how well-rounded the characters could possibly be given the cyber-epistolary format, but I was pleasantly surprised. The main character, Renee, was intelligent, self deprecating and easy-going. I found her easy to relate to and really wanted her to find the romance she was looking for. Don't get me wrong, there were times that I wanted to yell at my iPhone that she was being naive or ask why-oh-why she agreed to go on some of the dates that she did! Still, that was relatable too! We can all get a bit carried away and see what we want to see when it comes to the opposite (or same: whatever floats yer boat) sex.

Renee's friends were much less rounded than she was, but I think that was to be expected. There was no realistic opportunity for lengthy description or exposition in this format, so some stereotypes had to be incorporated. Nevertheless, I think Becker succeeded admirably in this! Shelley, Renee's over-sexed friend, acted like the devil on her left shoulder, while Ashley (a.k.a Miss Priss) was like the angel on her right. They were like the two conflicting sides of Renee's nature and the conflict between them was woven nicely into the main story.

Mark, Renee's slightly OCD partner-in-online-dating was the only character that I didn't particularly warm to. He seemed to serve less purpose than the other auxiliary characters. Still, although I don't think he added a whole lot to the book, he didn't detract from it either.

I found this book to be a light-hearted, easy read that was thoroughly enjoyable. I found it interesting how much Lisa Becker managed to weave beneath the surface of the story and by how much I had come to like Renee.

I was thinking as I read it that the most unrealistic aspect of the email-format was that everyone's spelling and grammar was so damn good! But then, I loathe text speak so that didn't bother me at all.

Overall, this is a fun read. I think it'd be perfect for a nice, easy beach read or for a free hour or two you might have on lazy, summer evening. I recommend you check it out!

Lx

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Click.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa I'm so happy that you not only won a copy of Click but liked it. Hurrah! Could I impose on you to post your review to Amazon? I'm trying to spark some summer love for Click as summer approaches and the sequel is underway for release next year. Thank you!

Laura Oo I Think I already have! On Amazon Uk anyway! I'll check ;)

Lisa Thank you! If you haven't posted to Amazon in the U.S., that will help make the biggest difference in Amazon's support. Appreciate it!