Ezra Marcel's Reviews > Vixen

Vixen by Jillian Larkin

Jun 17, 11

I picked up Vixen from my local Borders a few weeks ago because the cover was enchanting. I have always had a fascination with flappers, and I'd never had much luck finding novels about them. I'm so glad I found this one, however.

I immediately felt like I had been sucked into the 1920's. Jillian Larkin really manages to make it convincing with her obviously well-researched story of danger, romance, and scandal during the age of the Prohibition.

After I bought it, a friend of mine told me that it had the feel of "'Gossip Girl' in the 1920's." That didn't appeal to me at all and I got worried. The last thing I wanted was a book about high-society babydolls "discovering" the world, as so many other books seem to be doing these days. I was pleasantly surprised, though, by just how "un-Gossip Girl" this really was. The characters are cunning and intelligent and not at all shallow low-lives like the Gossip Girls. The descriptions of the places and the sights and smells make me feel like a girl in Chicago in the mid 1920's, in a life full of possibilities.

The romance in the book had me in love, myself. The scandalous affair of a rich, high-society white girl and a lowly black musician (all while the girl is already engaged!) had me on the edge of my seat. The action was intense, and at the end I was very pleased with the outcome. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vixen.