Cheryl's Reviews > Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

Feb 21, 13

Read in June, 2006

I read all the books like this that I can find. I used the bibliography of this to find more. I can't evaluate them objectively.

Ok, ETA. I just read and loved The Fight for English: How Language Pundits Ate, Shot, and Left which is a response to the 'zero-tolerance' part of Truss's book by the wonderful & wise David Crystal. He wrote about a lot more than just Truss in his concise overview, but I noted one thing he said that I want to mention here. He seems to think people are thinking of this book as a Usage Manual.

Gad I hope not! I mean, yes, Truss has some good tips. But this is popular because it's funny! It's tongue-in-cheek, almost a parody of punditry in some ways. Please, if you want a real usage manual, get something like The Chicago Manual of Style/The Elements of Style or a textbook or something. Read Truss for *fun.*

And read Crystal, too, for fun and for enlightenment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cheryl edited for unclear pronoun referents