Kay's Reviews > Winter Garden

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

Jun 17, 11

Recommended to Kay by: Chapters Indigo
Recommended for: Anyone who will listen
Read from March 28 to April 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

When I first picked up Winter Garden (which was actually a gift from my husband, deemed by the nice cashier at the Chapters he bought it at as 'Something that will make your wife cry') I was skeptical. Normally, I enjoy my over-sized paper backs as much as the next person, but something about the premise smacked of cliche, to me. Two adult sisters with Mother issues, trying to lead their lives without thinking about it; I figured I knew the ending right off the bat. Most of these books are all the same, right? I was very wrong.
Kristin Hannah managed to weave a tale within a tale, effortlessly bringing to light two separate lifestyles, and three separate women, and the lives they lead. It explained in haunting and beautiful description about love, loss, and determination. How hard it is to let go, and how hard it is to come back after losing everything.
The story didn't drag, it had enough twists to be interesting, and the characters were well formed.
By the end of the book, I realized that I could relate to the main characters, but I could also sympathize with the ones in the background, who weren't overshadowed by Kirstin's intense and descriptive style. At times lugubrious, the entire story dips and weaves and eventually comes to a resolute and satisfying ending; my only regret was that I was correct on how it finishes when I made my assumption of the book. Overall, save for the obvious ending, this was a fabulous read which I would recommend to anybody willing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Garden.