Brenda Brown's Reviews > Grounding Quinn

Grounding Quinn by Steph Campbell

Nov 22, 2011

Read in November, 2011

There were lots of things I liked about this book. Quinn's family is dysfunctional to the nth degree and her coping mechanism for that rings very true to me. The way she acts and reacts to Ben was also very real -- including the dance she does in pulling him near and then pushing him away. Quinn's voice has a bit of snark to it, which I liked. It was just enough that it felt realistic without feeling overdone and some moments of internal dialogue made me laugh out loud. I'm also a sucker for a love story and Quinn and Ben do have an undeniable chemistry.

There were also some things, though, that I thought could have been more well-developed. Mason, Quinn's younger brother, for example, is the "golden child" throughout the narrative. He seems immune to the family drama and Mom & Dad go to lengths to participate in his life in a way they don't do for Quinn or her older brother. But I could really never understand WHY. And, given the picture painted especially of Mom, how can the kid remain so immune to her problems? It made me not really trust Quinn as a narrator.The other thing I had a difficult time reconciling was Ben's fascination with Quinn. I understood why she felt so drawn to him, but not always vice versa. He says vague things like she makes him feel alive and he's never known anyone like her, but she puts him through A LOT of crap and giving more depth to Ben's narrative would have helped me to feel more invested in their relationship.

Overall, I enjoyed the story and the writing and I'd definitely read more from this author!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grounding Quinn.