Angela's Reviews > Embassytown

Embassytown by China Miéville

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: sf
Recommended to Angela by: Bookish group read: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...
Read from April 02 to 12, 2012

Loved, loved, loved this.

Mostly I loved the feeling of being thrown into an alien world, and NOT having everything explained in awkward info-dumps. Instead you encounter new words and strange technologies and unfamiliar cultural practices and weird grammar constructs, and you have to just keep reading until you begin to accumulate enough pieces of the puzzle to start to figure out how this place works. After about 100 pages you have enough of an understanding that the plot can actually start... and then everything changes :D

I also loved that good guys become bad guys and vice versa, either as the characters and the situations they are dealing with change, or as your understanding of what is actually going on changes.

And finally, I love the big ideas that this novel explores. Language and thought and the importance of lying.

can't wait to read my next Miéville
want to space them out so they last
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embassytown.

04/03/2012 page 55
16.0% ""There are no telepaths in this universe, I think, but there are empathics, with languages so silent that they may as well be sharing thoughts.""