Martin Belcher's Reviews > The Outlander

The Outlander by Gil Adamson

Jun 17, 11

Read in April, 2010

I really loved the sound of this book when I read the back cover description whilst in my local Waterstones and my curiousity was immediately hooked and I had to buy it.

We follow our main character, Mary Boulton "the widow" who is running away from killing her husband and is being pursued by her two brothers in law through 19th century Canadian wilderness.

The language and prose used are just exceptional conjuring up in your mind with each paragraph the intensity of the situation Mary finds herself in. I found the narrative and pace just addictive and it hooked me all the way through to the climatic ending. We are introduced to many memorable characters along Mary's journey which even now stick in my mind. The story is haunting and emotional, but also exciting and takes you into the mind of Mary and whilst not condoning the murder of her husband you at least can sympathise with her and her very delicate emotional state. I drew some parallels with Cormac McCarthy's The Road in its bleakness and page turning ability to get you drawn in and hooked from page one.

I heartily recommend the Outlander and was quite sad to reach the end! I sincerely hope the author Gil Adamson will write further as I absolutely adore this book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outlander.