Victoria Song's Reviews > Mastering the Hype Cycle: How to Choose the Right Innovation at the Right Time

Mastering the Hype Cycle by Jackie Fenn

Jun 27, 11

bookshelves: business, non-fiction
Read from June 17 to 27, 2011

Fenn and Raskino do a good job explaining what the hype cycle is, and why its relevant in terms of innovation adoption. All in all, its a very thorough book with the first half providing the theory, and the second half acting as a detailed how-to guide. It's clearly written, with plenty of graphs and case studies, which helps to make the ideas discussed more easily digestible.

However, it did get a bit repetitive at the end, and I felt that perhaps they were looking to fill up some space. I'm not sure each step of the "STREET" process they mention needed such in-depth analysis. Also, by book's end, I grew a bit weary of colorful terms like "the trough of disillusionment" and the "peak of inflated expectations."

I do, however, commend Fenn and Raskino for their honesty. It would have been very easy to market the "hype cycle" as a potential, one-size-fits-all innovation, like some of the innovation examples detailed in the book. Instead the authors take care to emphasize that sometimes the best course of action is to avoid unnecessary baggage, and to prioritize innovations that benefit a company's core ideals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mastering the Hype Cycle.

06/20/2011 page 18
7.0% "So How Do You Deal With the Hype Cycle?"
06/21/2011 page 91
33.0% ""What it takes to master the Hype Cycle""
06/21/2011 page 133
49.0% "Track: Collecting the Innovation Candidates"
06/23/2011 page 165
61.0% "Chapter 9, Evaluate: Understanding Rewards and Risks"
show 1 hidden update…