Rosana's Reviews > Like You'd Understand, Anyway

Like You'd Understand, Anyway by Jim Shepard

May 10, 08

bookshelves: 2008, short-stories
Read in May, 2008

I have mixed feelings about this book. I truly enjoyed Shepard’s writing, but felt at times that the main character in each story was the same, as if the same father and/or brother dysfunctional relationship was shown through different chronological and geographic backgrounds. Having said that, I wonder if this is, after all, the touch of genius in this book.

One thing is for certain, there is a maleness about it that transcends the fact that only one of the stories portrait a female main character and that all other main characters/narrators are men. It is that Shepard exposes the male psyche with such clarity, at times I – female that I am – felt like a voyeur peeking at the boys, eavesdropping on conversations that were not for my ears. Testosterone seems to be a key ingredient in this book. And surprisingly this is quite unusual, as if literature in general was mostly impregnated with estrogen and progesterone. But that is a different discussion…

I started to write this review intended on giving it 3 stars, but the more I think about it, the more I realize it deserves better. 4 stars it is!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like You'd Understand, Anyway.