Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Raising Stony Mayhall

Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory

Jun 16, 2011

Read from June 30 to July 03, 2011

Made the list for

Best Badass Zombie Books..

Part 1

This is the story of a little baby found on the side of a road. He is clearly different. He should not be.

Wanda Mayhall does not care. Stony is a baby. She will protect him from the world, and make sure he is raised to be loved and cherished just like her three other children.

Sadly for Stony, he knows he is not like his sisters. His physical self is not only different, but he feels no pain, and things that should kill him (like an arrow to the heart that is accidently released by his best friend Kwang) only cause concern on how he’ll hide it from his mom.

Stony also knows that his kind, whatever the right term is for his kind, is feared. See, one bite, and you have his “disease”. People without his disease do not trust him. Moreover, they might be onto something. After the initial bite, there is a time-period where his kind becomes mindless, and in their state of mindlessness, they want to bite others.

Stony fears for the day when he is discovered. In his fear, he prepares.

Part 2

This is a story of a young man forced to live away from his family because some townsfolk finally figured out his disease. Now he lives with others like him. However, he does not exactly fit in with them either. Stony is different. He wants to make the world a better place, he believes everyone is good until they are proven to be anything else, and most of all, he wants his family to be safe. Stony’s disease is different from the others as well. It progresses differently & Stony thinks differently, he is smarter, he is logical and he is compassionate. Because of this, he is treated differently even among his own.

Part 3

This is the story about the government. Using scare tactics to keep the public misinformed. Conducting experiments on diseased patients and voiding these patients of all rights. It is also the story of a man trying to protect his own from the government, playing the governments game until he can set things right. Stony, the forever optimist, believes he can make everything better if he just tries hard enough.

Part 4

This is the story about a middle-aged man’s sacrifice for his family. This is a story about discovering who you are and what you truly are made of. It is about finally figuring out the real monsters in the story and about selfless love.

It’s the story about Stony the zombie.

Side Note- I originally had this at 4.5 out of 5 stars but everytime I think about it, it brings tears to my eyes. Thus, I moved it up to 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raising Stony Mayhall.

06/30/2011 page 45
17.0% "This book is going to break my fricking heart. I already know it. I can feel the little tug here & there. How can you not feel for Stony. His wanting to be like his sisters, his wanting to be normal."
06/30/2011 page 55
20.0% "I clearly need help. I want to just hug and care for Stony. Nevermind that he is a zombie. He is so wonderful." 5 comments
07/01/2011 page 150
55.0% "This book has surprised me non-stop. In a good way and I've pretty much read everytype of zombie book. No seriously, I believe I have AND all within the last two months! LOL" 1 comment
07/02/2011 page 210
77.0% "I don't want this story to end!"
07/02/2011 page 250
56.0% "This book, oddly enough, reminds me of the suffering, fear and discrimination people with HIV/AIDS suffered during the AIDS crisis in the late 1980's. It's odd, I know, to equate a "zombie" book with fear and discrimination of humans. It's very sad how ignorant & hateful people can be."
07/02/2011 page 300
67.0% "Stony, you might not think you have a heart because you can't feel it beat in your chest but it is because you are all heart. I think I'm in love...again....with another zombie."
07/02/2011 page 300
67.0% "My hubby decided to break yet another washing machine (this is the 2nd time in 8 years). I happened to have 10 loads of wash to do (don't ask). Off to the laundermat! Yipee...time to read. Nope, forgot my book AND my mp3. So, I'm sitting there playing games on my phone for about 30 minutes when I realized I had my Kindle in my purse. I'm an idiot!"
07/03/2011 page 315
70.0% "I have no clue why I'm reading this book so slow. It's not that I'm not enjoying it, quite the opposite. Usually, a book this size would take me 1.5 days but I feel like I've slowed to a snails pace on this one. The book is SO good though."
07/03/2011 page 448
100.0% "wow. what a book."
06/14/2016 marked as: read

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead After The Reapers are the Angels, Deadline & Warm Bodies, you would think I was zombied out but nooooo, this looks fantastic! I want it!

message 2: by Deb (new)

Deb I want this one too... then again, I want a lot of books. ;)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Deb, the Word Muse wrote: "I want this one too... then again, I want a lot of books. ;)"

this was such an amazing book. I actually just sat here thinking about it. It was only 448 pages but it felt much bigger because it covered so much.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Two reviews in one day!!!!! It is a miracle!

message 5: by Shelley (new) - added it

Shelley Of course now, I have to add this to my TBR file. Thanks alot Michelle! :O)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "Of course now, I have to add this to my TBR file. Thanks alot Michelle! :O)"

I loved this story. I feel like I've become a zombie groupie but I don't even care. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Amazing job, Michelle. Up on my tbr it goes...

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Amazing job, Michelle. Up on my tbr it goes..."

I think you would like this one. It is not nearly as gruesome as some of the recent zombie books we have read (it has a couple graphic scenes though).

message 9: by Tarra (new) - added it

Tarra Great review! A zombie story with heart? I'm in!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Tarra wrote: "Great review! A zombie story with heart? I'm in!"

Thanks Tarra. I hope you like it. Stony is all heart!

Wendy Darling Damn it, Michelle. I have all these other non-zombie books to read, you know.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "Damn it, Michelle. I have all these other non-zombie books to read, you know."

LOL! I know. I know. I hear you. But, you know Stony is calling your name. I think you'll adore him.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) We don't call her Queen of the Undead for nothing. She's just doing her job.

Excellent work, Madam Co-president!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "We don't call her Queen of the Undead for nothing. She's just doing her job.

Excellent work, Madam Co-president!"

lol!

Wendy Darling Maja, we should try to read this one together sometime soon. I would just be jealous sad if you read it alone and I was scrambling to follow afterwards. But I guess we should finish the other readalong first, hah!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "Maja, we should try to read this one together sometime soon. I would just be jealous sad if you read it alone and I was scrambling to follow afterwards. But I guess we should finish the other reada..."

Yes, I was the self-appointed guinea pig on this one. I'm glad I "suffered" for the sake of my friends. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Perfect, I'm in! Anytime works for me. But that other book is mocking us. Damn you, book!

Wendy Darling Oh, book. You were so tempting and whispered sweet promises in our ears. But you've become distant and aloof and difficult to understand.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) The only question is what to do about it?! I've been trying to summon up the courage to read those last 100 pages, but I don't have any. I'm a coward.

Sorry, Michelle. We're leaving now. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "The only question is what to do about it?! I've been trying to summon up the courage to read those last 100 pages, but I don't have any. I'm a coward.

Sorry, Michelle. We're leaving now. :)"

lol... I'm guessing you are talking about As Meat Loves Salt? I warned you in my review! I said it definitely wasn't for most people! LOL

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yes! The problem is that the writing is sooo good, I feel like an idiot for not liking it more. I just... don't. I keep thinking: Why do I need to know this?!? So many unnecessary things...

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Yes! The problem is that the writing is sooo good, I feel like an idiot for not liking it more. I just... don't. I keep thinking: Why do I need to know this?!? So many unnecessary things..."

You said it yourself... some books work for some people and others don't (Ok, so you said something like that, or I just totally pulled that out of my ass but you know what I mean).

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yeah, well, I have my moments, apparently. I'm just so sorry, I really wanted to like it more. I love the idea for the story, I just think it's too long. :(

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Yeah, well, I have my moments, apparently. I'm just so sorry, I really wanted to like it more. I love the idea for the story, I just think it's too long. :("

Don't be sorry. I really wouldn't recommend that book to many people. It is very long. Don't be disappointed, there are way too many books sitting on your shelf for you to try and finish one that isn't holding your interest. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) We haven't really decided not to finish. We'll see. But you're right about the number of books that are waiting to be read, including this one.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "We haven't really decided not to finish. We'll see. But you're right about the number of books that are waiting to be read, including this one."

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) O_O You shouldn't have said that. Now I want to read it tonight. Or even better, yesterday!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "O_O You shouldn't have said that. Now I want to read it tonight. Or even better, yesterday!"

I hope you like it. I actually wrote in my book. Something I never do but I circled parts I liked. Very strange of me. It took me a long time to read it because it is almost like the book is 4 books instead of one. Be prepared though.... the ending!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) "Be prepared!", says the woman with a zombie survival kit. :P

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: ""Be prepared!", says the woman with a zombie survival kit. :P"

LOL... no be prepared with Kleenex.

Wendy Darling I would have to say if you took Deadline out of the group, this one is my favorite of my recent zombie reads.

MICHELLE. I already talked to you about making statements like this!!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "I would have to say if you took Deadline out of the group, this one is my favorite of my recent zombie reads.

MICHELLE. I already talked to you about making statements like this!!"

LOL..oops. my bad.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead It's a good thing I finished this book because my dog (in her nervousness over the fireworks) thought this was the perfect item to carry around while the fire works were shooting off. Usually, she'll carry one of our shoes around. Not this time, it was the book! LOL