Kat's Reviews > Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter by Bryan Cassiday

Nov 06, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: vampire, horror, mystery, owned, review-request
Recommended for: fans of Tale's From the Crypt
Read from October 20 to November 05, 2011

Full review to be found @ Shivers of Horror , this is only a small chunk of it.

It seemed like a thesaurus was used way too much. The writing was simple and for some stories there seemed to be random words that just felt out of place and in some cases I was baffled as to what they meant - I was reading it on a Kindle so I could look them up but it got very annoying to keep doing it so eventually I gave up. I also got very irritated with the overuse of peoples names. For example in one paragraph with 3 sentences the characters name would be used like 1-2 times in each sentence.

The stories “almost” felt as though they were like a “Scary Stories to tell in the Dark” sort of story. They were obviously adult, but the subject matter felt juvenile and not written as well as Adult material would have. I would not recommend this book for children though!

With a little tweaking this book could be sort of like a Tales from the Crypt sort of novel. The stories really reminded me of that feeling, but just fell a little short. I really expected this book to be horror stories, and I didn’t find them to be horror really.

So, overall, the writing is a little weak. I felt like I was reading a fan’s account of a few different horror movies meshed together. The writer (and the stories) definitely have potential, but I was interested in a good horror book, and these didn’t really feel like horror to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helter Skelter.

10/24/2011
10/30/2011
66.0% "Power went out. I decided to read this some more, I was really bored with the story I was on sadly."
show 5 hidden updates…