Mrs N's Reviews > Heart of the Matter

bookshelves: 2011, generalfiction
Recommended to Mrs N by: Myself
Recommended for: Women
Read from June 14 to 16, 2011

Humans are judgmental beings. Especially women, I think. We compare ourselves to each other and then smugly think how awesome we are (or berate ourselves for our shortcomings). Giffin takes plots that we are all familiar with, characters we are used to judging harshly, and uncovers the complexity that we'd prefer to avoid. One is left thinking, "Hmm that actually sounds like something that I might do in that situation," or if one can't handle that level of introspection, "I can see my friend doing that. (The hussy.)" I seldom like her characters but they are undeniably real. I see bits of myself in them.

In Heart of the Matter, Giffin takes us uncomfortably through an affair, which we watch unfold through the eyes of the wife and the other woman. I thought it was very well done.

I shelved this on general fiction, but I doubt any man would be much interested in it. I didn't want to call it chicklit because I felt that would trivialize it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of the Matter.