Brandy's Reviews > Grape Expectations

Grape Expectations by Tamar Myers

Jul 03, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: general-market-fiction, contemporary, mystery-thriller-romantic-suspense
Read in October, 2011

I enjoyed the mystery aspect of the story, but even though I typically enjoy word play, for some reason the particular style of humor in "Grape Expectations" by Tamar Myers fell flat for me.

Themes of greed and paths to truth seemed to me buried under PG-13 rated puns. I recognize there was a lot of comic exaggeration at play, but I had a hard time believing certain plot points such as a police chief bringing her number one suspect into an investigation. That could be my fault for watching too much CSI.

I also grew a little weary of certain phrases being repeated throughout the book. Most notably, "horizontal hootchy-kootchy," "pedal to the metal," Freni complaining about Magdelena's "riddles" (at least six times in one conversation), and the dialogue tag "wailed." There's even in-story commentary on the latter: "You've got to stop wailing, Magdalena. Only sirens wail." (Page 63). A dislike of repetition is one of my quirks as a reader and won't bother everyone.

In its favor, this is a fast-paced and light-hearted book with tight plotting and lots of red herrings to keep the reader guessing. Recommended for mystery readers who enjoy snarky sleuthing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grape Expectations.

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia It has everything.