Catie's Reviews > Red Glove

Red Glove by Holly Black

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, read-in-2011, ya, series, audio
Read from June 16 to 19, 2011

I feel like I have very little to say about this book. I liked reading it, but it didn’t inspire me to great heights of joy or disappointment. I like this one a bit less than the first, but that may just be because everything was brand new and exciting in White Cat, and I have to admit that my expectations were low. I will definitely get Black Heart from the library next year, but I don’t feel any desperate yearning for it.

I think that my favorite part of this book is that Cassel’s mother is out! I wish that she had been in this book a bit more. Her toxic/loving relationship with her sons (and the fact that I am more than sure that she’s been working everyone for years) is fascinating to me. Cassel has been holing up with his mother over the summer, working cons to get by and trying but failing not to think about Lila. But soon he’s back at Wallingford, where the girl he’s been trying to forget has decided to enroll. Cassel finds himself caught between his love for Lila, and his disgust for his mother’s curse. He must also decide whether to follow in the family tradition by joining the Zacharov family, or go in an entirely new direction.

Here is a quote from my review for White Cat: “I am hoping for a more ruthless, crafty Cassel in the second book. *Crosses fingers for no guilty agonizing over misdeeds.* I think that’s my biggest disappointment with this book: Cassel seems to still be a bit clueless and too naïve for his own good. With all of the dramatic turns that his life has taken, does he really need to fret and agonize about breaking Wallingford Academy’s code of ethics or passing physics? As much as I love Sam and Daneca, I feel like Wallingford is such an unnecessary part of these books. I just want to get to the “good stuff:” cons, mafia dealings, adventure, and double crosses. Cassel also seems to make really stupid decisions a few times in this book – which made me a little eager to see him suffer for them. (view spoiler)

The romance also is heading decidedly in the “star crossed” direction, which I am not a huge fan of. I have to say though, the angst of the two characters’ separation didn’t feel exploited just for drama. In this book, they both struggle in a realistic way about whether to be together or not, and their decisions feel real as well. (view spoiler)

I wasn’t surprised by any of the twists in this one as I was in White Cat. I blame my overly astute goodreads friends for pointing out several things that I hadn’t noticed in the first book. Darn you and your above average intelligence! Here’s a few things that I noticed in this book, because it’s payback time: (view spoiler)

Perfect Musical Pairing

The Dears – Bandwagoneers

This is a recent favorite of mine. I think that it’s all about the twists and turns and complications that relationships can encounter, even if both people really love each other: ”Why can’t everyone live out happily ever after?
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Glove.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, no. I was going to start this series soon, but now I'm in no hurry.

Btw, it's a great song, even if you are getting wussier by the minute. ;D

Catie Actually, I still think that it's a good series...I'm far from dropping it! The average reviews for this one are pretty high.

I know...my husband is starting to question my mental health because my music has gotten so wussy and depressing.

message 3: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Jun 19, 2011 02:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) At least it's music. I haven't been listening to anything but Deftones these last few days.

I'll try the series, then. It can't hurt.

Catie Mmmmm...I love the Deftones. I might have to use them for a musical pairing soon (and also to rescue the last shreds of my cred).

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) See?! I knew it. This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.:D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Catie, as far as audiobooks go, I think these books are really good. I'm almost done listening to White Cat. I really love the way Jesse Eisenburg speaks.

Catie Yeah, I listened to them both on audio too! I'm not sure about Jesse Eisenburg though. I mean, I love him. He's such a cute nerdy guy. But I feel like his voice is a bit too nasal for Cassel, and sometimes he reads Cassel as a bit less sarcastic/snarky than I think I would if I were just reading the print version. Still, I didn't feel the need to switch to the print version so he wasn't all bad.

Thanks Jillian! (view spoiler)

message 8: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark Great review!

Catie Thanks! (view spoiler)

message 10: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark Catie wrote: "Thanks! [spoilers removed]"

Really? Neat:) And thanks for the friend request....

message 11: by new_user (last edited Jun 26, 2011 11:27PM) (new)

new_user LOL. I like your musical pairings. (And do use Deftones! :D )

Catie Thanks! I'll have to use Deftones soon...