Karen Fowler's Reviews > A Modern Witch

A Modern Witch by Debora Geary

Jun 16, 11

bookshelves: witches
Read in June, 2011

A Modern Witch is an innovative and clever take on the world of Witching. Bespelled computer-game coding? Launching a witch sniffer program online to seek out other witches and bring them into a Witches only chat room? Ingenious! But it also is the start of some very big changes for a family of witches and the "normal" Real Estate agent Lauren, who doesn't have a clue that she possesses latent and untapped magical powers until she's sucked into the Witches chat. From that quirky premise evolves a novel that I just couldn't put down. I had to know what happened, and now that I've finished it, I absolutely can't wait for the next in the series. I already miss the cast of lovable characters!

Debora Geary writes with finesse and style, cultivating a magical world where little gifted children can do amazing things and where one woman learns that families can be made, not born into. Geary's style is upbeat, concise and butter-smooth. The supporting cast of characters are fully-developed and authentic. The plot clips along nicely but never feels rushed, and the build-up to the second novel is catchy without leaving the reader hanging. I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys lighter paranormal (as opposed to all dark and brooding), women's fiction with a smudge of romantic elements, quirky family novels, Chick-lit and anyone who is interested in the metaphysical and mystical aspects of paranormal. I can't crow loudly enough about this book, you'll just have to read it for yourself!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Modern Witch.