All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Touch of the Demon

Touch of the Demon by Diana Rowland

Dec 31, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia
Read in December, 2012

With such an thrilling beginning, it will be no surprise to find that the first half of TOUCH OF THE DEMON is a complete game changer for Kara Gillian. Swept away into the demon world, at the mercy of beings whose motives and manipulations she can barely comprehend, Kara is operating outside of everything known and comfortable.

This degree of change was disorienting to read, but I’m glad I stuck through the initial deluge of demon names, magical techniques, and political machinations. TOUCH OF THE DEMON is a pivot point for this series, opening up a long term plot line that builds off of hints from past books. The first half of the book felt a little slow for me, especially as I anticipated the twist at the story’s halfway point, but that made it no less satisfying when the story changed direction. Some of the magic still seems vague (and I still can’t tell a syraza from a savik from a reyza, demon-wise) but Kara’s friendships, relationships, and personal growth more than carry the story for me.

Though a slow start kept me from giving 5 bats, this book is both strong Urban Fantasy and a killer mid-series offering. It’s hard to believe that any book could create as much anticipation as the climactic end of SINS OF THE DEMON, but TOUCH OF THE DEMON opens up a whole new world, mythology, and love life for Kara, leaving me dying for book six.

Sexual Content: Sex scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of the Demon.