Destiny's Reviews > The Life of Elizabeth I

The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir

Jul 04, 2012

bookshelves: 1500s, biographies, history, tudor-era
Read from June 30 to July 04, 2012 — I own a copy

After having some doubts with Weir's authorship with Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings, I was glad to be reassured with her biography of Elizabeth I of England.

I've always loved Elizabeth. Her story captivated me. The girl who had lost her mother at such a young age and lived in such a perilous age brought glory to her country once again. I had watched countless movies with her and the fascination grew from there.

I knew of the important facts of Elizabeth's reign, but with this book I got a better look at it. Weir made Elizabeth come alive again.

The book starts where The Children of Henry VIII left off with Elizabeth's ascension. There are twenty seven chapters and an epilogue and even that didn't seem like enough to me. Luckily Weir a listed a great bibliography, so I'll be checking out some of those.

This a great biography. Weir doesn't shy away from Elizabeth's faults, but also praises her achievements. I was truly sad when the end came.

There is an author's note in the back about Elizabeth in film. I was a little dismayed when she took the piss out of the Cate Blanchett films since I love her portrayal of her, but with reading this book I can see the flaws of the film. Still I am planning on watching a few of her approved Elizabeth roles.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life of Elizabeth I.

06/30/2012 page 50
show 5 hidden updates…

Brittany B. I absolutely agree that Cate Blanchett's Elizabeth is one of my favorite depictions. It may not be completely accurate, but neither was The Tudors series. And it was excellent!

Destiny Exactly the way I feel. It's a film, so I give it more leeway than say...a documentary haha.