Ren (All By Myshelf)'s Reviews > The Field Guide

The Field Guide by Holly Black

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: own, illustrated, favorites, series, mid-grade
Recommended for: everyone
Read in July, 2012, read count: 4

I'm so glad I bought this book! I mostly got it because it looked super cute (I love those little hardback mid-grade books with the saw-tooth pages, like A Series of Unfortunate Events), but I also got it because it sounded interesting. I got a lot more than I was expecting, and in such a small package, too.

This is one of those books that, despite the bad things that happen, it makes me want to move into an old Victorian house. Interesting things always happen when people move into old houses! Though, the state of disrepair the house is usually in kind of changes my mind, on most occasions. And with this book in particular, there were always creepy sounds and mysterious happenings that made the thought of living there considerably less appealing.

I really liked the characters in this book. They were all interesting. Mallory with her fencing (I've always wanted to try that), Simon with all his little animals, and Jared with all the interesting things he found. I felt so bad for Jared at various times throughout the book! He just didn't have much luck.

I usually don't like books about faeries, but this one pulled it off rather nicely. I think it might be the same as my love of mid-grade high fantasy versus my general dislike of YA high fantasy. The more fantastical it is, the better it is in mid-grade than YA.

The ending kind of bothered me. It totally left me hanging! Right when it was really getting going, it ended, leaving me wanting more, but sadly not having the second book. I'll definitely be getting the sequel, first chance I get. This was a very enjoyable read with great writing and illustrations, a very interesting story, and likable characters. I can't wait to get my hands on book two!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Field Guide.

06/17/2011 page 15