Cici's Reviews > Half Broke Horses

1931122
Jul 20, 2011

bookshelves: memoirs
Read from June 16 to July 16, 2011

If you've read the Glass Castle then you have to read this book. Jeanette Wall writes from her maternal grandmother, Lily Casey Smith's voice. Lily is a pretty amazing person, if you ask me.
Lily is a brillant, strong, nothing's-going-to-stop-me type of girl. She talks about life growing up on the ranch, surviving tornados and flash floods. She breaks horses, races horses and drives cars and flys airplanes. She's a teacher, bus driver and cook for the school, lol. She does everything and no telling her she can't because she will prove you wrong.
You also get to learn of Jeanettes mothers childhood from the Glass Castle and wonder how mother and daughter are completely different. Lily has always been such a driven and hard worker and very resourceful and Rose Mary has always been such a free spirit and could care less about stability and working.
Jeanette Walls did a great job capturing her grandmother and her story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Broke Horses.

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven Wow, you are really catching up with some reading lately and putting up some well thought & worded reviews. This sounds like and interesting book.

Cici Thanks!

Cici It get my other reader friends to read it and helps me remember what it was about :)

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven Yeah that is always a plus. That's why I am married, my wife is my second place for storing info...she's kinda like my jump drive and I can take her where ever I go LOL :O)