Chazzle's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Jun 16, 2011

did not like it
Read in June, 2011

OK, maybe I'm not giving this book a fair chance, but I've got 50 pages down, and a "mere" 850 pages to go. Everyone I know prostates themselves at the altar of this book, as if it were the greatest thing since Pippa Middleton or Ryan Reynolds (take your pick). Really?

For one thing, the book should've been subtitled "or, How the Author Read a Book on Architecture, and Now You Can Suffer Like He Did". There's an awful lot of talk about arches, masonry, windows, load bearings, etc. etc. etc.

I mean, at the point I quit the book, never ever to return to it, about 50 pages in, the main character, Tom Builder (who's a mason, with the last name "Builder" -- get it? GET IT?) is lying in wait to jump the thief who stole his pig, but he's distracted by the cathedral under construction - "Are they really using the right materials?", he muses. Those arcades and plinths don't quite look "true". I mean, his toddler daughter, wife, and son are also at risk of life and limb chasing this jerk thief, and Tom's thinking "cement, trowel, arch". What a complete LOOOOOOZZZZAAAIRRRR. Or is it just me.

Should I undergo therapy to learn how to love reality tv, so that this book will seem like a supernatural epiphany by comparison?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.

message 1: by Deb (new) - rated it 1 star

Deb I couldn't get through it either!