V.'s Reviews > 52 Pick Up

52 Pick Up by Elmore Leonard

Jul 15, 11

Read from June 16 to July 15, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Mixed feelings about this one. I've read a lot of Leonard's books and generally like them very much. The style here is the usual laconic, charming one he emplys in all his books. The start is a little slow, as it usually is, but the mundane nature of the main guys life, and the slightly humdrum nature of his indiscretion (cheating on his wife with a younger woman) didn't really do much for me.

Then the blackmail plot took off and I got caught up in it, the bad guys while nothing special, no materminds here, felt threatening and I wanted to see how things would pan out. But then...

There's this rape.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm not a big fan of rape. Even though it's not at all graphic and she's drugged ever time he does it (yes, more than once) just the idea of it was unpleasant and made me not want to read the rest. It made the story much edgier and dreadful in the most literal way, but it just wasn't fun to read the way his books usually are.

Of course I wanted to see the bad guy get his just desserts, but the nasty tatse was still in my mouth. And the deneoument is a little rushed and too easy, so it wasn't very satisfying.

Not one of his best.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 52 Pick Up.